If you read jewelry trend forecasts such as National Jeweler’s Industry forecast 2009: Fashion and want to stay current with your jewelry accessorizing, you might be scratching your head wondering which pieces you should be buying.
Forecast for fall 2009 are:
- Oversized chandelier earrings and large-scale hoops
- Big cocktail rings, signet rings and other large gemstone rings
- Statement necklaces (including V- and U-shaped necklaces) paired with stud and button earrings
- Cuffs and chunky bracelets
- Organic material jewelry (such as shell, bone and wood)
“Eco” jewelry will continue to gain awareness, interest and support, and focus on competitive pricing will make silver-only jewelry, or silver mixed with other metals, hot. Lastly, sentimental jewelry with spiritual or religious meaning is forecast to be very popular.
While the trend seems certainly towards bigger jewelry, purchase jewelry that suits you and you will always be in style. If you do decide to buy a “statement” piece such as a tribal style necklace or a hefty gemstone ring (and can carry it off in your workplace), I suggest going small and simple with your other accessories (or leave them out entirely.) Purchase quality vs quantity. A fine metal piece of jewelry can always be redesigned and reset further down the road.